Sunday, June 19, 2016

The Way-Maker

There tend to be a lot of different names for God; YHWH (Yahweh), Jehovah Jireh, Abba, and tons more. But the one that I've come to use most frequently? Way-Maker.

 A small while ago I sat on the edge of my grandmother's bed and cried. I felt like I had hit rock bottom finally. Afraid that my dreams would never come true and that everything that I'm after, is well, pointless. All the years of dreaming to be a great musician and producer just felt worthless.

My phone lit up and buzzed with an email from a random company. In that moment I saw my lock screen.
"When my heart is overwhelmed lead me to The Rock that is higher than I."-Psalms 61:2

That gave me life. I knew I had to make a choice. I'm standing on the split of the path and there's two ways. Take God's hand and let Him lead and make my path, or wander in the wilderness, on my own.

Needless to say I grabbed the hand that's always there waiting for me to take hold and held on tight.
Sometimes I feel like I get so caught up in trying to feel accepted by the people around me and trying to map my life out like everyone tells me too. But I had forgotten the simple words God told me; "you aren't anything like everybody else."

And it's true. It comes at a price. My small circles feel smaller everyday but my flame still stays ablaze. I feel like I'm in a season of waiting. *cue Colony House *` I'm waiting on my time to come, quite literally. But I think we all go through the times when we have less friends. I think it makes us more dependent on God than running to our friends around us looking for all the answers or searching for adequate solutions for problems in the world than leaning on God.
 Instead of looking around us, we look up.

We look up to the Rock that is higher than all of us.

That's what I want my everyday life to be. I want to look up instead of looking around. I want to be totally surrendered and defenseless by myself. So unsustainable by myself that I realize that every breathe I take is a gift. It's really easy to crave acceptance from the people around you and to be able to say you know exactly where you're going. But to love God is to live a reckless life. One that only looks at today and not tomorrow and that is not self-sufficient.
So now I'm not worried about my music career. I'm not worried about my blog. My main focus is to keep my heart humble and to realize just how real Jesus is around me in the sunshine on my face and the wind against my arms in these summer days. With or without lots of friends, with or without a plan, I'm a child of God, and the Father always has a plan even if I can't see it.

He will make a way. 
After all, He is The Way-Maker.
Take time and enjoy the sun and the moon and the stars. Fill your lungs with the sweet summer smell of blooming flowers and cut grass. Walk barefoot and jump in lakes. Love everyone, especially the ones who don't deserve it. Stand tall and don't worry because at the end of the day, He holds you in His hand. 

Let's shout His name Loud and Clear from the rooftops.

With much love,
JR

5 comments:

  1. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH DUDE NO WORRRRRDS. <3 NONE. ZERO. THIS IS BEAUTIFUL. :''') "But to love God is to live a reckless life. One that only looks at today and not tomorrow and that is not self-sufficient." <<< LIKE HOWWWWWW DO YOU READ MY SOUL??? I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW. BECAUSE YOU LITERALLY JUST TOOK THESE WORDS STRAIGHT OUTTA MY HEART AND POSTED THEM HERE AND WOW. omg this is legit so inspiring to me especially because I've been meditating on a lot of these same things lately! Like....particularly thinking about the future and how to make it happen and I'M MISSING EVERYTHING IN FRONT OF ME, I FEEL. It's so easy to experience THIS moment -- AND YET IT'S SO HARD. (at least for me i need such help XD)

    SO WOW. I NEED TO READ THIS LIKE 861478631 MORE TIMES BECAUSE WOW. <3 YOU ARE SO INSPIRING TO ME, BRO. *much hugs*

    lotsalove,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
  2. when can I be wise like you

    this is honestly sending me to tears becaue SAME.

    Even though I'm not too incredibly anxious about my future (aka music) I get this. I mean I am and I'm not. I totally worry that I may mess up somehow and my future will be wrecked (even though God can fix mistakes, I know that), or if I'll go to college but I also am scared of college and blah dinfonsfiosnafson!
    It's more of a "who does God want me to be" and "who does everyone else want me to be" on a scale or something. Obviously the former is greater than the latter but it's still really hard for me. I want to be the former but I also want to fulfill others expectations. You feel? And the fact that I sure do NOT believe in my abilities and it's a constant tug of war between God and I of Him saying I can be brave and me wanting to hide in the corner and cry.

    That Colony House song.

    This whole post reminds me of my letter, tbh.

    So we'll both wait for our times to come. Hopefully together butttt.. *laughing emojis*

    keep your head up, my love <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this is gorgeous and powerful and wow. I'm basically speechless. Can you bottle up your wisdom and share it with me? XD Love love love love love. LOVE THIS!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. OKAY THIS LINE HIT ME ---> "I want to be totally surrendered and defenseless by myself. So unsustainable by myself that I realize that every breathe I take is a gift." OWWWWWWWWWWWWWW GIRL THAT HITS DEEP. I cry that every single day when I get up. Messy things happen in life, and they don't always leave me feeling the happiest. Nope, not at all. I had this summer (MY LIFE EVEN) planned out to go this certain way and God's like, "Oh, hey, sorry that's not My plan." I WANT HIS PLAN AND I NEED TO LET GO OF MINE. The challenge is actually DOING it.

    And right now, like you said, I think is a time in my life where there aren't a lot of people that I know and love around me. I never thought of myself as a girl with tons and tons of friends, but now that the few ones that I did know aren't with me, it's like, okay, where is my hope. It's gotta be in God, because there's no other way. And if everything is rooted in Jesus, then I can be happy knowing He holds the future....It sounds so nice and simple and cute written out...but doing it is a WHOLEEE different story. And that's what I need to pray to have grace for. To live out life for God wholeheartedly.
    I just really loved this post and I honestly think I'll be back rereading it again. Like seriously. I loved this so much <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. DUUUDE. I FOUND YOUR BLOG THROUGH AALIYAH AND I AM SO HAPPY THAT I DID. Your writing is river deep and sparkling with the goodness of our Papa. <3 There are so many lines that just hit me in the chest that I could copy and paste and quote because they SO resonated. But there are far too many to copy and paste them all.

    "Sometimes I feel like I get so caught up in trying to feel accepted by the people around me and trying to map my life out like everyone tells me too. But I had forgotten the simple words God told me; "you aren't anything like everybody else."

    <3 my heart is full and I needed this goodness in my soul tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Keep them sweet. ;)