Wednesday, August 31, 2016

RUN THE RACE - ABBIE GUEST POST


  Hi my dear readers!

Today on the blog I have one of my favorite blogging friends and a extremely talented writer, musician, fairy squad mother, and basically the queen of multi-talents, give it up for Abbie!
Thank you again for making this possible Abbs!
If you're not already following her, drop everything and go do it. Then you may come back.
I'm so delighted that she agreed to post for me this month! She's about to blow your mind.

Grab your juice box and notepad, kids. Abbie is the real deal.




* * *



THE BIGGEST OF SHOUTOUTS TO JACYRAYN HERE. Let’s give her a round of applause and some waffles. I am so incredibly honored to be taking over Loud And Clear today and sharing some thoughts that have been weighing heavy on my heart lately. :’) Thank you, JacyRayn, for inviting me and being one of the coolest people/bros/Switchfoot groms I know. And thank you, fabulous reader, for casting your eyes upon this post! Muchas hugs and waffles. <3

* * *

I once heard someone say that the air is thin at the summit of Mount Everest. They said that if you were to hike to the very top, you would be struggling to inhale and exhale. It would be like breathing through a straw while running on a treadmill. And something twisted inside of me and I thought, “Man. That must be painful.”

Breathing.
Through a straw.
While running on a treadmill.

When I think about the people who are doing my job better than I am, I feel an aching desire somewhere deep inside of me to do that job better. Just as good as they do it. Better than they do it. I want to be the best. I want to be flawless. I want to be perfect.
So I try to work harder, faster, and with more efficiency. I write more notes, I skim more words, I eat at my desk, I think, “I can squeeze one more hour of work in today.”
Maybe I’ll succeed, for a little while. Maybe I’ll be running a victory lap, maybe I’ll be biting my gold medals, maybe I’ll be singing my national anthem. But then I’ll go back and watch the tape, and see how I fell short of the finish line.


I didn’t quite make it.
I didn’t win.
I’m not a champion.
Because I’m not perfect.

I watch the others run for the gold medal and something twists inside of me and I think, “Man. That must be painful.”

Dancing around in the winner’s circle isn’t painful.
Disqualifying yourself for no reason is.

You should be perfect, says the judge in my head. She slams her gavel and shrugs her shoulders and says it like it is. You should be perfect.

But I’m not.
I’ve tried to be.
I’ve failed to be.

I’ve torn up the insides of my mind with a tornado of should haves and could haves.
I’ve witnessed the wreckage.
Crying.
Fighting.
Flying.
Repeating.

Breathing.
Through a straw.
While running on a treadmill.

But that judge in my mind is just an imposter. She’s there to blind me and brainwash my jury of self-depreciating thoughts. She’s there to white-out the evidence more obvious than the sun in the sky:

I am perfect.
But not because I crossed the finish line.

I am perfect because there’s a force living inside of me. The remnants of a supernova. A nursery of new stars and nebulae. A place where explosions will happen. A place where galaxies will be born. A place that a telescope will take its aim at one day, snap a picture, and leave scientists in their tiny universities slack-jawed with amazement.

I am not perfect because of what I do.
I am perfect because of who I am.

That’s the kind of perfection God writes poems about, late at night, when you’re asleep.
Because he can’t wait for you to wake up.
To open your eyes.
To breathe in the new day.
To run a race.

A race with no finish line.


* * *

Guys, let us all acknowledge how Abbie just slammed my heart.
I hope you felt as moved by that as I did.
If you did, leave a comment supporting her and go check out her blog!
I still can't thank you enough for taking over the mic (and the dropping it) today!

Readers, lets hear what you think!

mucho amor,

JacyRayn xx

P.S. What do you guys think about me making more headers for post like the one above?!
Let me know!







13 comments:

  1. ABBIE! WHAT THE EVEN WHO ARE YOU ARE THESE WRITING ABILITIES MAGICAL OR WHAT BECAUSE EVERY SINGLE THING YOU WRITE LEAVES ME ASTOUNDED. <3

    This was so beautiful and pierced my heart, bro. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH YOU'RE THE BESTEST :''')

    And Jaccyyyyy you did so good on your header! <3 I'm so proud :''')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AALIYAH OMG I'M SMILING SO HARD RIGHT NOW. :'''''') THANK YOU SO MUCH SDFGHJK YOU MAGICAL HUMAN UGH YOU MAKE ME SO HAPPY WOW <33333 NONONO THE BESTEST IS YOU BUT I GUESS ME AND JACY CAN BE THE BESTEST TOO. *muchas hugs gah*

      Delete
  2. OOOOWWW WHAT DID I JUST READ.
    THAT WAS LIKE THE BEST THING EVER LIKE ADFKJSDFKSJ I CAN'T.

    Gahhhhh <3 TWO OF MY FAVORITE BLOGGERS COLLABORATED TOO I CAN'T HANDLE ALL THIS GOODNESS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ASDFGHJKJHGF AUTUMN MY HEARTTTTT <333333333333333333

      Delete
  3. just stab me in the heart IT WOULD BE LESS PAINFUL.

    this is so good I'm ASDNFJGHF SCREAMING.

    (notice how I keep transitioning from lowercase to UPPERCASE BECAUSE THIS IS SO AMAZING)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOR YOU ARE THE KINDEST HUMAN OF EVER LIKE WOW BRB RECOVERING FROM YOUR COMMENT :'''''') THNAK YOU FKJALSK;JAF

      Delete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS THIS IS AMAZING ABBIE!!!!!!
    I honestly have no words.
    I JUST LOVE IT SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHASLDKJSAFSDHFLA THANK YOU ALL I CAN DO IS FLAIL RN YOU'RE SO NICE. :'''')

      Delete
  5. ASDFGHJKL THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HAVING ME JACY AND ALL THE KIND THINGS YOU SAID UP THERE. :''''''''') "Grab your juice box and notepad, kids. Abbie is the real deal." << THIS MADE MY LIFE. YOU'RE THE BESTEST.

    <3333333333333333333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. btw i love the header!!! AND THANK YOU FOR NAMING THE POST BECAUSE I'M A FORGETFUL TURNIP LOLOLOLOL

      Delete
  6. AHH this is awesome!! I love the part about all the astronomical stuff inside us. <3 And the way the whole piece just builds and aah! really encouraging :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfectionism has been my struggle lately, and you just wrote exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you thank you thank you, Abbiee. God is doing AMAZING things through you! ♥♥

    ~Megan<333
    (megans-journals.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ABBIE. OH MY GOSH.

    Literally everything you write leaves me with my jaw on the floor. Perfectionism is SO HARD and you put this so perfectly. I love you so freaking much.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Keep them sweet. ;)